The Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC) is an economic development agency of the federal government and 13 state governments focusing on 420 counties across the Appalachian Region. ARC’s mission is to innovate, partner and invest to build community capacity and strengthen economic growth in Appalachia to help the Region achieve socioeconomic parity with the nation.
ARC seeks a director of IT to create, lead, plan, implement, and evaluate innovative and efficient technology solutions to align with our mission and operations. We seek a pioneering individual to lead all technology initiatives including network, security, application development, and hardware. This role will work with internal business units to improve business processes using the most appropriate technology while demonstrating a high degree of responsiveness to positively impact our operational goals. The director of IT will lead, coach, manage and develop a team of IT professionals.
- Experience with designing, implementing and overseeing a major web-based grants management (or similar system, i.e. membership management, contract administration, grant-making) upgrade.
- Understanding of software development lifecycle including requirements definition, design, development, testing, implementation, training and documentation.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and balance the needs of stakeholders in achieving the goal of delivering an updated grants management system utilizing best practices for software development.
- Relevant experience with a mix of public and private sector work in all facets of IT including networks, applications/software, security, telecommunications, and A/V
- Proven experience leading and managing a professional technical team
- Demonstrated successful project management skills working with internal business units as well as external consultants/contractors on small- and large-scale projects
- Monitor, evaluate, and address the cost-effectiveness and return on investment of all IT services, systems, and hardware
- Core competencies: accountability, adaptability, collaboration, communication, critical analysis, leadership
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative environment and bring an energetic and innovative approach to his or her work
- Successful completion (prior to hire) and maintenance of background security review; U.S. citizenship required
ARC offers a collaborative work environment and a competitive benefits package which includes health insurance, 401(k), paid time off, commuting subsidy, professional development, etc. This is not a federal position, however, if a federal employee is selected for this position and transfers without a break in service of more than three calendar days, he or she may be able to continue his or her retirement and life/health insurance benefits. ARC generally follows the General Schedule Salary Table of the Federal government. ARC’s grades denoted by “NF” are equivalent to the GS chart. This position is an NF 15 (DC locality). Temporary telework through Sept. 30, 2021 due to COVID-19; position is located in Washington, DC.
Equal Employment Policy
ARC is an equal employment opportunity employer and endeavors to make reasonable accommodations to the known physical or mental limitations of qualified applicants with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of ARC’s business. If an applicant believes he or she requires such assistance to complete the application or to participate in an interview, he or she should contact the Director, Human Resources. If an applicant has any questions or concerns, he or she should reach out to the Director, Human Resources at 202.884.7712 or at firstname.lastname@example.org