Director, Finance & Administration
The Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC) is an economic development agency of the federal government and 13 state governments focusing on 423 counties across the Appalachian Region. ARC’s mission is to innovate, partner and invest to build community capacity and strengthen economic growth in Appalachia to help the Region achieve socioeconomic parity with the nation.
ARC is seeking a Director, Finance & Administration to provide leadership to the mission of ARC by ensuring sound stewardship and accountability for appropriated funds and providing administrative support services for the agency. Serve as principal advisor to the Commission on financial and administrative matters and provides overall direction and strategic planning for financial management, procurement, budget formulation and execution (including accounts payable work through other agencies) and financial reporting to Office Management & Budget (OMB) and Treasury. Provide leadership on financial matters involving state partnerships and shared expenses. Provide inventory and supply management, space management, procurement, telecommunications and financial reporting support and direction within the agency.
Possess the leadership ability to drive vision and purpose that will strengthen the accounting team. Build trust and accountability within the team to accomplish objectives and achieve results. Empower the team through coaching and feedback and provide direction and delegation to staff while removing obstacles to get work done. This position reports to the Executive Director.
- Adept knowledge of Office of Management & Budget (OMB) processes.
- Strong leadership skills and ability to lead and direct the Accounting and Finance administration team.
- Demonstrated ability to lead multiple and simultaneous programs using best practices and the ability to adjust to the changing nature of the environment.
- Solid demonstrated project management experience including the ability to develop and follow project timelines and deliverables.
- Core competencies: accountability, adaptability, collaboration, communication, critical analysis.
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative environment and bring an energetic and innovative approach to his or her work.
- Bachelor's degree and 7 to 10 years of relevant experience with strong Accounting, Finance and Budgetary background.
- Federal Financial Management experience required.
- Desired Certified Government Financial Manager (CGFM).
- Desired Certified Public Accountant (CPA).
- Successful completion (prior to hire) and maintenance of background security review.
- Ability to travel (~10%). If travel is needed, must maintain and possess a valid driver’s license.
Great Benefits: ARC offers a collaborative work environment and a competitive benefits package which includes health insurance, 401(k), paid time off, commuting subsidy, professional development, etc. This is not a federal position; however, if a federal employee is selected for this position and transfers without a break in service of more than three calendar days, he or she may be able to continue his or her retirement and life/health insurance benefits. ARC generally follows the General Schedule Salary Table of the Federal government. ARC’s grades denoted by “NF” are equivalent to the federal grade(s) on the GS chart. This position is an NF-15 (DC locality).
Strong Mission: Curious about the work we do at ARC? Read more about our newly-released strategic plan, Appalachia Envisioned, to check out our goals for the next five years. Our team is dedicated to innovation, partnerships, and investments in the Appalachian Region to help achieve socioeconomic parity with the nation. See our work in action at the Appalachia Envisioned Roadshow, where ARC is hitting the road to highlight those strategic goals and how Appalachia’s 13 states are working to achieve them.
Equal Employment Policy
ARC is an equal employment opportunity employer and endeavors to make reasonable accommodations to the known physical or mental limitations of qualified applicants with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of ARC’s business. If an applicant believes he or she requires such assistance to complete the application or to participate in an interview, he or she should contact the Director, Human Resources. If an applicant has any questions or concerns, he or she should reach out to the Lisa Pansegrouw, Director, Human Resources at 202.884.7770 or at email@example.com